Friday, July 15, 2011

Protecting Our Valuables

Guarding treasures against loss or theft is perhaps our most important responsibility. Losing outward possessions hurts, but losing inward treasures is tragic.

Who we are is more important than what we have or don't have. Proverbs instructs us: "Keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life." The heart is our compass. It directs our thoughts, our words and our steps. Change the heart, change our direction. No small order, as left on its own, the heart proves itself deceitful. That is why David pleads in Psalm 25: "Guard my soul, and deliver me. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust."

The created desperately needs the Creator to transform, restore and protect the soul. God's most amazing work is that which is done inwardly in the heart. Again in Psalm 25, "Who is the man who fears the Lord? Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose. His soul shall abide in well-being."

No comments: