Friday, December 16, 2005

Our job description

"I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, . . . "(Ephesians 4:1-3) Is the vocation our secular employment? No, it is the invitation or summons from God to order our behavior in a manner consistent with such a high calling. Who called whom? The Lord has sought us out, and has made us fit to be called saints. He loved us before we ever loved him. Therefore, he reminds us how we should walk in a manner worthy of his high calling.

If the president of the company requests to see me, I hope I would not casually saunter into his office, late, jabbering away carelessly, poorly dressed, and generally disrespectful. As an employee of his company, certain codes of behavior and dress are understood and expected, not only in his presence, but consistently. Because I have been chosen to work there, I am honored, and gladly comply. If, as I am ushered into his office, one of his choice attendants whispers urgent advice to me, I would do well to listen carefully.

So Paul gives to us our job description with the expectation that we will accurately represent the One who called us out of darkness and into His marvelous light.

1. All lowliness
2. Meekness
3. Longsuffering
4. Forbearing one another in love
5. Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace

These are our first instructions from day one. They are inward attitudes that will also be displayed outwardly. Obviously, the opposite behavior cannot be tolerated:

1. All pride and haughtiness of spirit
2. Selfish and unbridled attitude
3. Short-fused, impatient, easily irritated
4. Me-first attitude, callous, inconsiderate
5. Constantly stirring up dissention, discord, rebellion

No comments: